The 2010 FIFA World Cup at Cape Town Stadium – a global sporting event, brought to life by one moment in time.
One venue, one location, initially for one reason. Yet as with all stadiums around the world, these iconic attractions represent far more than can ever be defined by their architecture and operation plans, yielding a return on investment well in excess of the initial capital expenditure (US$ 600 million) and calculation of break even.
Able to bring together over 64,000 people for a shared moment in time, Cape Town Stadium was, and continues to be, a vehicle for uniting so many other critical elements to the economic and social development of a city, including:
• Government and business leaders around a common vision, work plan and pride;
• Leading design and technology from across the globe, yet with a distinct local signature;
• Citizens initially with as many opinions about the venue as they represent in votes, now with excitement over upcoming events calendar dates not to miss;
• National and international artists and sports personalities wanting to put “Cape Town” on their tour line-up and sexy “I was there” t-shirts;
• Elevated city reputation, providing invaluable impact on destination brand awareness, appeal and competitiveness (sometimes becoming attractions in their own right), and reason to visit now
Do you have any stadium business success stories? We’d love to hear about them…
Tweet us @stadiumbusiness or comment on our LinkedIn discussion.
TheStadiumBusiness Summit 2014 is the largest dedicated meeting in the world of owners, operators and developers of the world’s leading stadiums, arenas and major sport venues.
Join us at Wembley, 3-5 June 2014 for two days of discussions, site visits and peer-to-peer networking that will change your stadium business forever.
What are people saying?
You guys did a great job. Really enjoyed the programming and hospitality.
Scott Jenkins General Manager, Mercedes-Benz Stadium
The best conference I've ever attended!
Lee Zeidman President, STAPLES Center
Over the past decade you have done an incredible job to build this event. A truly international stage...
Jean Christophe Gileta President , Live Stadium
Thanks for putting on another great event. It exceeded expectations – both in terms of the quantity and quality – of conversations over the two days...
Business Development Director Sports and Entertainment, Oracle Hospitality
Another great eventy. Always nice to catch up with the industry – and get all those ideas flowing
Jacob Lauesen Director Brand Marketing & Development, F.C. København
Your conference is the industry benchmark. Any individual working in the industry has the opportunity to take away learnings for their own venue.